Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Back to School.

No, not me. But all the tiny little kids in our neighborhood had their big day yesterday.
Here in Germany the first day of school is a big deal. A few weeks before school starts you, the parent, receive a welcoming letter stating when the first day is, what to buy, etc.

Once that day arrives, the kid kind of gets dressed up with a school cone. Yes, a school cone. And I do not talk about the one you put on the street for construction purposes. The "Schultuete" is a cone made out of heavy, heavy paper, nicely decorated, filled to the brim with goodies, and tied up with a ribbon.

Hm, yes, that's me on my first day. I can still remember the feel of my "Schultuete". And yes, it was pink with white clouds all over. (I still think I got that one because my mom loved clouds at that time. Oh, the 80's.)

I also remember that I had a few school supplies and a Benjamin Bluemchen tape in it. Yes, I loved listening to stories that came from a recorded tape. Ha, good days!

So, once you get to school with your parents (and usually your grand-parents), you are seated in a larger room at your school. Kids sing for you, endless speeches to follow. After the "ceremony" they usually show you your classroom and that's it. You can go. Phew, first day mastered. Many more to come.

I am not sure, but I think we went out for lunch later that day.

Over the years, I met a lot of people from different countries that have never hear of this tradition before, hence the post. Ah, you just need to introduce the cone, it is a lot of fun, and makes the first day of school so, so exciting.

1 comment:

  1. Just having a peek around your lovely blog. You are from Germany! I didn't realize.
    My parents worked in Germany for many years - in Munich. Beautiful country.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails